Is this acceptable?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Whatzitooya

Just ran into a users cluster and found saw a FB advertisement through one of their forum widgets:

https://www.gaming-legion.org/ARK/API/

Are they really claiming THEY are developing the API and all the plugins and even more bold, CHARGING for them when they are offered for free?

I guess, but that's so not cool. Borderline unethical.

These people are making awesome free to use tools and those guys are out selling them. What really triggers me is the fact that this user is seen requesting features on these plugins. Presumably, all the credit goes to them.

hmm... well promotion for the devs are always good but renaming and relabeling isn't a nice way to do it imao. At least give them cred for creating the stuff you are offering if you are trying to re-sell them as your own...

Last edited:
i think its acceptable
the github project has MIT License
so the owner of the api is allowing modifying and selling the project
All infos can be found here on his github account: https://github.com/Michidu/ARK-Server-API/blob/master/LICENSE.TXT

I can understand if they modified it or offered services to install the plugins/support. However, they simply are taking FULL credit of making it and designing it. They did NEITHER of those. Just copy and paste. Still scummy.

I can understand if they modified it or offered services to install the plugins/support. However, they simply are taking FULL credit of making it and designing it. They did NEITHER of those. Just copy and paste. Still scummy.
This is how money works.... i have the same problem with my github projects but i dont realy give a fuck on it.

#Edit
the github project is also linked in his thread
so if its modified and not only c&p therefore there is no worryView attachment 340

Last edited:
Yes, MIT technically allows it. However, license and copyright notice still must be included with every copy and i don't think this condition is met.
Edit: Since link is included, looks like there are no problems..

This is how money works.... i have the same problem with my github projects but i dont realy give a fuck on it.

#Edit
the github project is also linked in his thread
so if its modified and not only c&p therefore there is no worryView attachment 340

I never said it was illegal, I am saying it is a douchebag move. I gurantee it isnt "modified" unless they simply modified the config to pre set stuff up.

Well Michidu doesn't seem to have too much of a problem with it. If he's OK with it, I'm OK with it.

Though I would expect that attribution to be in the page where they are advertising "their" api, and not simply on some shitty and obscure PnP forum they're running. Who knows what "modified" means to them; it might just be the config files.

This is the reason why I really look up to these folks. I have issues handing out my work to just anyone for this very reason. It's the very reason why I'm more than happy to pay for any useful premium plugins. In this way, they get to do what they like doing, and also get a nice monetary reward for their troubles in making my servers a more unique place.

I figured that would happen. For the sake of continued discussion, here is a screenshot of the website.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I figured that would happen. For the sake of continued discussion, here is a screenshot of the website.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lol thats Tempritscher his server the german guy.
Man thats so uncool taking credit for what he has absolutly nothing tributed in.

Tempest Dedicated Servers
Rogue Vikings Discord Server - Rogue Vikings Gaming Servers - Minecraft Prison Servers - Minecraft Creative Servers
Monetize your ARK server
Tebex
Back